Monday, 14 July 2014

Author C. Lee McKenzie Unlocks the Key to Education

We posed the following question to our authors: 
"What does education mean to you?"

As usual, our authors did not disappoint! Please join us throughout the week as we share their wonderful stories and memories. 

Please welcome our first author, C. Lee McKenzie...

I remember the first time I held a book that was filled with words and no pictures. I must have been four. I threw it down and cried. I was so angry because I wanted the story in that book, but it was hidden from  me.

I’m not sure how my mom handled that moment. Maybe she gave me one of my picture books or sat and read one of my favorite stories to me. But somehow I must have come up with the idea that I had to learn the code if I wanted to get to the story for myself. If I didn’t, I’d have to wait for someone to unlock the mysteries for me. 

Strange that I remember that one moment, but I can’t remember when I finally learned to read on my own. Maybe that part of my education just came so naturally, so gradually because people in my life read and encourage me to read with them. 

I guess wanting to know has always been a driving force for me, so there was never a question that I wouldn’t be in love with learning, which I always equated with reading. I could never imagine not being able to research a topic or find an answer I needed because I didn’t know what the words meant. And when the subjects became harder and more complicated, I treasured my reading skills even more. They were the key to my education. They gave me the freedom to understand anything, any time. And that’s what education means to me. Freedom.

C. Lee McKenzie is the author of DOUBLE NEGATIVE, coming to Evernight Teen July 25th.



Blurb:
Sixteen-year-old Hutchinson McQueen is a big time loser. Trapped between an abusive mother and an absentee father, his one thought is escape, but everything he does to get away lands him in trouble. 

Shackled by poor reading skills, he squeaks through classes with his talent for eavesdropping and memorizing what he hears. When he shoplifts and lands in juvenile detention, the court sentences him to a county youth program. There he meets the priest and Maggie, a retired teacher. They’re determined to set Hutch on a path leading away from trouble. Hutch is determined not to cooperate.

It isn’t until he’s facing serious charges that he confronts the truth—his own bad choices are trapping him. When he's offered the freedom he craves, all he has to do is take it.


Give the Gift of Education

Evernight Teen will donate 100% of sales from now until July 21st to World Vision's Education for Girls Fund.

Click here to discover the quality Upper Young Adult fiction of Evernight Teen.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world."
~ Nelson Mandela

1 comment:

  1. Great idea. I love that you're turning attention to the issue of education.

    ReplyDelete